A National Grid worker was electrocuted at a worksite in Medford, Massachusetts, on Thursday, the Middlesex District Attorney's Office confirmed.
The 35-year-old man was working alone in an electrical box at the end of a parking lot at 500 Salem Street just after midnight when the incident occurred, officials said. The worker was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A Medford police officer who was on detail tried to help the injured worker, according to police. The officer and two other responding officers were also taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. All three officers were released from the hospital Thursday morning.
Police said power was cut to the building. Medford Fire Department was working with area residents who are in need of assistance.
Authorities, including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, were investigating the circumstances of the incident.
A neighbor said she heard a terrifying scream and looked outside to find emergency responders frantically trying to save a man in the back of the parking lot. Another said he was working at the time when the power went off and had no idea there was a major problem.
"I'm sad for the guys family. And of course, no one needs to pass away doing work. It's tragic news," said the man, who gave his name as Vin K.