Woman, 22, Fatally Shot in Lawrence

Friends tell NBC10 Boston that the 22-year-old Lawrence High School alum just started beauty school and was the mother of a newborn and infant daughter

NBC Universal, Inc.

Warning: NBC10 Boston obtained surveillance video -- portions of which are included in the video above -- that is disturbing, graphic, and difficult to watch.

A 22-year-old woman was shot and killed on New Year's Eve in Lawrence, Massachusetts, authorities said.

The Lawrence Police Department responded to a report of shots fired in the Pearl Avenue area around 5:10 p.m. Friday and found a woman suffering from an apparent gunshot wound.

The victim was treated on scene by paramedics before being taken to Lawrence General Hospital where she died from her injuries, police said.

The Essex County District Attorney's Office identified her Saturday as Jumil Celladiya, of Lawrence.

Police do not believe this was a random act of violence. The DA said Saturday that no arrests have been made, and no information on a suspect has been released.

Surveillance video obtained by NBC10 Boston shows a chaotic scene unfolding Friday evening in the Pearl Avenue parking lot. Several shots can be heard in the video, followed by a car speeding into the lot. Next, a man can be seen falling to the ground in shock before running to the passenger side of the car to tend to Celladiya, at which point several neighbors walk out to see what happened.

Friends tell NBC10 Boston that the Lawrence High School alum just started beauty school and was the mother of a newborn and infant daughter.

"She was a great mother, a beautiful mother," one woman said through tears.

Celladiya's family members say they are in disbelief.

“I’m distraught. It wasn’t necessary. Very sad,” one relative told NBC10 Boston. “It’s a kid without her mother man, it's real sad. It shouldn’t have happened.”

At a growing memorial Saturday night, family said Celladiya will live on through her daughters, and they vowed to look after Celladiya's little girls.

"Every time we look at her, I promise you, I will go above and beyond and we will do nothing but take care of those little girls for her," one woman said. "Forever. Forever. In our hearts."

The district attorney's office and Lawrence police are continuing to actively investigate this incident.

Contact Us