What to Know
- Marcus Smart has agreed to a four-year, $52 million deal with the Boston Celtics, according to Yahoo Sports
- The 24-year-old restricted free agent had generated little interest on the free agent market
- There was word from Smart's camp that he was upset that the Celtics had not reached out to him earlier in the free agency process
Marcus Smart has agreed to re-sign with the Boston Celtics.
Smart agreed on a four-year, $52 million deal, according to Yahoo's Shams Charania .
“Keeping Marcus in a Celtics uniform was a top priority, and we’re excited to have accomplished that,” said Celtics President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge. “His intensity is unmatched, and the level of toughness that he brings to the team throughout the course of the entire season is second to none.”
This past season, Smart, 24, averaged 10.2 points a game to go along with a career-high 4.8 assists and 3.5 rebounds in 29.9 minutes over 54 games played.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
“This is where I want to be, and I’m ready to put a green jersey back on and get to work,” said Smart. “I’m determined to help my teammates bring another championship to the best fans in the world.”
Despite a strong postseason, the restricted free agent generated little interest on the free agent market. There were rumors that the Sacramento Kings might make him an offer, but that never materialized.
There was also word from Smart's camp at one point that he was upset that the Celtics had not reached out to him earlier in the free agency process. Celtics general manager Danny Ainge reportedly made contact with Smart earlier this week and the deal was finalized on Thursday.