Slain Sgt. Gannon's Beloved K9 Partner Nero Taken Home From Hospital in Gannon's Cruiser

'Rest In Peace Sean, your beloved K9 Nero is home,' the Yarmouth Police Department said in a Facebook post Wednesday night

The beloved K9 partner of slain Yarmouth Police Sgt. Sean Gannon has been discharged from the hospital, the Yarmouth Police Department announced Wednesday night.

Nero, who had been recovering at the Cape Cod Veterinary Specialist, left the hospital the same day his handler was laid to rest.

"K9 NERO GOES HOME! At the end of one of the most emotional and saddest days, and six-day period in American and Yarmouth Police Department history, our beloved 4-legged partner K9 Nero was released from his hospital and was taken home... in his fallen partner Sergeant Sean M. Gannon's cruiser," the Facebook post read. "We thank all of those who helped rescue and save this innocent animal's life---especially retired Yarmouth Police K9 Handler Peter McLelland, who entered the home after Nero was shot and has never left his side. Rest In Peace Sean, your beloved K9 Nero is home."

Nero will not return to police work, but will live with Gannon's wife.

The Yarmouth Police Department had been updating the public on Nero's recovery since he was shot Thursday afternoon while accompanying Sgt. Gannon to serve an arrest warrant at a home in Barnstable.

The department last provided an update on Monday saying Nero was making an "amazing recovery" thanks to some wonderful care.

"Nero is in great hands at the Cape Cod Veterinary Specialist. The staff care and love are leading to an amazing recovery," the post read. "Thanks to all who are making this happen. K9 Officers from around the region will be with Nero until he is fully recovered." 

Sunday morning, the department posted on Facebook to let everyone know Nero was on his feet, standing strong.

"OUR FOUR-LEGGED HERO!" the post read Sunday morning. "The men and women of the Yarmouth Police Department are proud to report that our beloved K9 NERO is back on his feet---FIGHTING back and standing STRONG!"

Later Sunday, the Barnstable Police K9 Foundation said on Facebook that Nero was "progressing with his recovery each day," and that he was able to walk down a hallway and eat some food on his own.

Nero underwent surgery on Friday, hours after being shot in the face and neck.

The department had posted on Facebook following the surgery Friday to say Nero had survived the emergency procedure. They also said Nero is under full 24/7 Law Enforcement protection and will remain in the care and control of the Yarmouth Police Department K9 Unit and K9 Units all across New England.

Contact Us