Worcester Police Step Up Patrols After Lifeguard Stabbed

Worcester police at first said four people were charged but later dropped charges against one. They are 22, 19 and 17.

NBC Universal, Inc.

Worcester police are stepping up patrols at the city's parks and swimming areas after a 17-year-old lifeguard was stabbed and beaten shortly after a group of young men was asked to stop smoking and drinking at a park.

"We will not tolerate those who would use violence to take away the peace of our public spaces,'' Chief Steven Sargent said. "I pray for the recovery of the victim and thank the officers for their swift response that led to the perpetrators being held accountable.''

The lifeguard, whose name has not been made public, was stabbed at Bell Pond about 6:30 p.m. Sunday.

In tonight’s Daily Debrief, a 17-year-old lifeguard is stabbed on the job at a popular swimming area in Worcester. Plus, the search is on in Merrimac for a suspect accused in an armed home invasion. And, the Pops head to Tanglewood for their Fourth of July performance.

Police at first said four people were charged but later dropped charges against one. They are 22, 19 and 17. They faced arraignment Tuesday.

The lifeguard was taken to the hospital and is now recovering at home, said Robert Antonelli, the city's assistant commissioner of Parks & Recreation. The teen had only been a lifeguard for a few weeks.

South High Football Coach Bob Larose told NBC10 Boston that the lifeguard is a player on his team. He said he spoke to the teen on the phone Tuesday afternoon and that he is sore and recovering at home.

"He got stabbed twice but it didn't go deep enough to hit any organs or anything," Larose said. "If it did, we're in a different situation today."

Bell Pond was scheduled to reopen Tuesday at noon, but the city has been struggling with hiring enough lifeguards, Antonelli said.

A 17-year-old lifeguard was attacked and stabbed by several men in Worcester. Brian Burnell has the latest details.
Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us