Rhode Island officials say a 15-year-old boy has been hospitalized with severe injuries after a firework exploded in his hand.
Smithfield Fire Capt. Michael Dexter tells the Providence Journal the boy was at his relative's house with another 15-year-old when he set off the firework around 11 a.m. Monday.
The extent of his injuries has not been released.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
Both the state Fire Marshal's Office and Smithfield police are conducting an investigation into the explosion.