Merrimack Valley Residents Returning Home After Gas Explosions - NBC10 Boston

Merrimack Valley Residents Returning Home After Gas Explosions

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air



    Officials Give Update on Gas Explosion Investigation

    Officials from the National Transportation Safety Board and Columbia Gas gave a press conference Sunday at 4:00 p.m. to inform the public on the status of the investigation. Lawrence teenager Leonel Rondon was killed as a result of the series of blasts.

    (Published Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018)

    Merrimack Valley residents displaced by a series of gas explosions on Thursday are scheduled to finally return home Sunday. Authorities said residents could begin returning after 7 a.m.

    At the height of the incident, about 8,600 residents in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover were forced out of their homes.

    During a press conference this morning, Gov. Charlie Baker and officials recommended residents remain cautious as they return. They stressed that residents without gas should not turn it back on themselves. They also said to ensure all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working.

    A federal investigator says there's no evidence to suggest the gas explosions were intentional.

    Officials: Residents Returning Home Should Remain Vigilant

    [NECN] Officials: Residents Returning Home Should Remain Vigilant

    Merrimack Valley residents affected by gas explosions return home today.

    (Published Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018)

    National Transportation Safety Board Chairman Robert Sumwalt said Saturday as federal officials opened their investigation into Thursday's disaster that there doesn't appeal to be "anything nefarious, anything suspicious, anything intentional."

    The explosions and fires killed a teenager, injured 25, damaged homes and forced thousands of people to evacuate.

    Sumwalt said it appears Columbia Gas' pipeline control center in Columbus, Ohio registered a pressure increase in the Lawrence area.

    He said investigators will be working to develop a timeline, including how local utility officials reacted to the pressure increase.

    Investigators expect to be on site up to 10 days. A final report could take up to two years.

    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:


    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.