Man Convicted of Great Aunt's Murder Free After DNA Test - NBC10 Boston

Man Convicted of Great Aunt's Murder Free After DNA Test

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Man Convicted of Murder Freed After Due to DNA Test

    Gary Cifizzari has left prison after 35 years after new evidence was found in his murder case.

    (Published Friday, July 12, 2019)

    For the first time in 35 years, a Massachusetts man walked outside as a free man leaving court Friday.

    Gary Cifizzari, 62, of Taunton, was just 27 when he was convicted of first-degree murder in the violent death of his 75-year-old great aunt in Milford back in 1979.

    The New England Innocence Project joined Ropes and Gray law firm in getting new DNA testing done on the evidence in this case — which, earlier this year, came back with DNA from Michael Giroux, another convicted felon who has since died.

    "It has taken 35 years, but today, we finally see some justice," said Radha Natarajan, the executive director of the New England Innocence Project.

    Family Says Vaping Killed Their 28-Year-Old Son

    [NATL] Family Says Vaping Killed Their 28-Year-Old Son
    An Orlando family is grieving the loss of their 28-year-old son, who died last week. They said he died as a result of vaping. Kyle Boyd's mother, Kimberly, said he was fine last Monday after he came home from hanging out with a group of friends. She said the next morning she could not wake him up.
     
    (Published Thursday, Nov. 21, 2019)

    "I feel great," Cifizzari said Friday.

    "I think it means the world to him," said Kirsten Mayer, an attorney with Ropes and Gray. "Part of what is so challenging when you're in prison for life for a crime you didn't commit and you lose your closest immediate family."

    Now, with a cousin in court to support him, Cifizzari heard the words he had been longing to hear for nearly four decades.

    "It is ordered he shall be released on his personal recognizance," Worcester Superior Court Judge Janet Kenton-Walker said.

    "The case is not over, but this is the first step," said Natarajan.

    As Cifizzari takes those first steps of freedom, his legal team is working to make sure he is fully exonerated and remains free permanently.

    "He has missed so many things. He has missed family. He has missed how technology has changed. The entire world is different," Natarajan said. "But we're ready for that challenge, too."

    Cifizzari is heading to Boston, where he will be in transitional care — on a GPS monitoring bracelet, with a curfew.

    Prosecutors have until Oct. 18 to file paperwork for a new trial.


    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:

    App

    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.