And then there were five.
David Price on Thursday became the fifth Boston Red Sox player to announce he won't join the team for its upcoming White House visit, succinctly relaying his reasoning to MLB Network's Jon Heyman.
World Series hero David Price told me he doesn't plan to go to the White House when the champion Red Sox visit May 9. "It's baseball season," was all Price said about that. Previously, AL MVP Mookie Betts plus JBJ, Rafael Devers and Hector Velazquez also said they won't be going. — Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) April 18, 2019
The Red Sox are scheduled to meet President Donald Trump on May 9 after their series with the Baltimore Orioles to commemorate their 2018 World Series victory.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
Sox president Sam Kennedy has insisted the trip is voluntary, and outfielders Mookie Betts and Jackie Bradley Jr., third baseman Rafael Devers and pitcher Hector Velazquez all have said they won't attend, citing various reasons. (Manager Alex Cora is still undecided.)
Price didn't elaborate much on his own reasoning, but the veteran pitcher has been very vocal about other topics this week. After criticizing Major League Baseball on Wednesday for its handling of Jackie Robinson Day, Price boldly suggested Boston could trade Betts and J.D. Martinez if the team doesn't improve on its slow start.
Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.