Massachusetts

Teacher Accused of Recording Student in Bathroom Faces Judge

A Bellingham, Massachusetts teacher charged with child porn after allegedly recording a middle school student in the bathroom faced a judge on Monday.

Scott McDonald, a 38-year-old teacher and baseball coach at Bellingham Memorial Middle School, was arraigned on charges of photographing the sexual or intimate parts of a child and posing or exhibiting a child in a sexual act. He has been on administrative leave since Nov. 9 and was previously released on $1,000 bail.

During Monday's arraignment at Milford District Court, a prosecutor laid out details of the case.

McDonald allegedly lured the victim into a faculty bathroom after telling the 14-year-old boy to go out to his car and retrieve a binder of grades. When the teen went to the faculty restroom, he noticed a box with a hole in it, in which the victim found an iPhone recording in secret, according to authorities.

Teacher on Leave for Allegedly Recording Student

During the ongoing police investigation, officers seized McDonald's phone, finding a still shot of the teen's genitals in what appeared to be the act of urination.

Prosecutors said McDonald tried to commit suicide a few weeks ago amid the investigation and asked the judge to set his bail at $50,000. 

Bellingham Teacher to Be Arraigned Monday

Bail was kept at $1,000, but the judge required McDonald to wear a GPS monitoring device and to remain on lockdown while he stays with relatives; however, the lockdown can be lifted as he seeks mental health treatment.

School administrators said they're committed to keeping a "safe learning environment" for students.

Teacher Allegedly Recorded Student in Bathroom

"As an educator and a parent I am absolutely appalled anytime a teacher violates the awesome trust and responsibility given to teachers by the parents of the children placed in our care on a daily basis," Bellingham School Superintendent Peter Marano said in a letter sent to parents.

Anyone with additional information regarding this case is asked to contact the Bellingham Police Department at 508-966-1515.

McDonald is due back in court on Jan. 10, 2019.

Copyright The Associated Press
Contact Us