Chelsea Baseball Bat Assault Leaves Man With Life-Threatening Injuries

The assault reportedly happened on Monday morning at Mary O'Malley Park on Commandants Way

What to Know

  • The victim, a male in his 20s, received "blunt trauma to his head" from what is believed to be a baseball bat in the 11:30 a.m. assault
  • He was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital with life-threatening injuries
  • The suspect is described as being a male in his early 20s with a husky build, black shorts, a black T-shirt and a black hat

A man in his 20s suffered life-threatening injuries when he was assaulted with a baseball bat in broad daylight Monday in Chelsea, Massachusetts.

Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes said the victim received "blunt trauma to his head" from what is believed to have been a baseball bat. The assault took place around 11:30 a.m. in the area of the tennis courts at Mary O'Malley Park on Commandants Way.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston where he remains in critical condition.

Investigators continue to look for a man and a woman, both said to be in their early 20s, who were spotted running from the tennis courts right after the attack.

The male suspect fled down Commandants Way toward Spruce Street, Kyes said. He is described as having a husky build, wearing black shorts, a black T-shirt and a black hat. He was accompanied by a woman with dirty blonde hair and wearing green-colored shorts.

Kyes said the weapon was tossed in Island End River behind the tennis courts.

Steven Rodes arrived to the scene just after police began investigating, and said, "the victim was just laying there."

The victim was a security guard for Alliance Security and off duty at the time of the attack, a company spokesman said in a statement.

"Our supports, thoughts and prayers are with him and his family," the statement said.

State police said their Underwater Recovery Unit is searching for evidence in the waters of the Mystic River and Chelsea Creek. They said their detectives are still in the process of conducting interviews.

No further information is being released at this time.

Contact Us