An explosion destroyed a home on Nantucket Thursday afternoon and sent one person to a local hospital, fire officials said.
Fire officials made the determination on Friday that a propane leak is to blame for the fire, which damaged three houses. The ensuing explosion effected an additional 12 houses, officials said.
A loud boom was heard at 12:01 p.m., The Inquirer and Mirror reported, and firefighters found the home on Woodbury Lane in flames. While crews worked to extinguish the flames, the neighborhood was evacuated.
One person who had been inside the home was taken to Nantucket Cottage Hospital for treatment of unknown injuries, Police Lt. Angus MacVicar told the paper.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
It was unclear how many people had been inside the home at the time of the explosion.
Bret Samboy, who was at a grocery store about a mile and a half away, told NECN that he felt and heard the explosion, and others on the island told him they heard the blast as well.
While the incident remains under investigation, Nantucket Fire Chief Stephen A. Murphy said that there should be no concern that this is a widespread issue on the island.
"Nantucket residents should have confidence in their propane systems especially if they use a licensed professional to service permitted systems," he said. "Propane has an odorant in it that smells like rotten eggs. If you smell it, leave your home without touching light switches and call 9-1-1 from outside."