Emergency responders administered Narcan to a 1-year-old Massachusetts boy who was not overdosing on drugs but having a seizure.
Fire officials confirm crews responded to an address on Pleasant Street in Plymouth around 6:15 p.m. Thursday for a report of a child who had overdosed. The department says people on the scene gave authorities information leading to believe the child was suffering from a reaction to drugs.
The child, however, had actually suffered from a seizure and was taken to a local hospital.
In-depth news coverage of the Greater Boston Area.
The boy, 16-month-old Nicholas, is safe at home, but it was a scary night for his parents.
His father, Leandro Rodrigues, says Nicholas wasn't feeling well, and his babysitter gave him children's Tylenol, but that he had a terrible reaction.
"He's feeling normal, but after 10 minutes, he shake a lot and open the eyes," recalled Rodrigues. "It was very scary."
The Plymouth Fire Department says there is no danger in giving Narcan to a patient who has not overdosed, even if that patient is a child. Rodrigues says Nicholas is feeling much better now.