Families Seek Compensation From New England Patriots in Aaron Hernandez Case - NBC10 Boston

Families Seek Compensation From New England Patriots in Aaron Hernandez Case

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Hernandez Estate in Court

    After Hernandez's death, the families of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado said they would continue to pursue their wrongful death claims against Hernandez's estate.

    (Published Tuesday, July 11, 2017)

    Two families that filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the estate of former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez have asked the team to compensate them for the loss of their loved ones.

    Hernandez was accused in the 2012 fatal shootings of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado but was acquitted in April. Days later he hanged himself in prison, where he was serving a life sentence in the 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd.

    Following a status hearing in Suffolk Superior Court on Tuesday lawyers for the families said they would "welcome" the Patriots compensating the families.

    A team spokesman hasn't responded to a request for comment.

    An attorney for Lloyd's mother previously called on the team to be "champions of justice" by paying $6 million to Lloyd's estate.


    Get the latest from NBC Boston anywhere, anytime:

    App

    Download our FREE app for iPhone, iPad and Android. You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and sign up for our e-mail newsletters.