A teen who was seriously injured in a hit-and-run crash in Acton, Massachusetts, last month left the hospital on Wednesday.
Cesar Soto, Jr., 13, was discharged from Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in the morning, with family and police escorting him home.
Despite having to learn to walk again after the crash left him in a coma, Cesar told reporters outside the hospital, "I'm good."
He was still in a wheelchair, having broken his leg and other bones, and he has double vision in one eye, Cesar said.
Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.
Hospital staff gave him a cheer as he got into a police cruiser for the trip home.
Cesar said he felt like a celebrity.
“I know like most people aren’t blessed like to like be alive and stuff after getting hit by a car like that, so I’m just like very happy and stuff that I’m actually like here," he told reporters outside his home Wednesday.
He has more speech and physical therapy ahead of him, but he is expected to recover.
“My son is alive. That’s the best gift? That’s the best gift ever," his mother Crisoly Tejeda said.
Police have said they are seeking charges against an 85-year-old woman in connection with the crash.
Acton police said earlier this month that they have submitted an application for a criminal complaint against an unnamed Maynard woman for the charges of leaving the scene of a crash causing personal injury, reckless operation and a crosswalk violation. They said her name will only be released if criminal charges are issued.
Cesar was in the crosswalk at the time of the crash, which happened on Great Road near Harris Street, according to authorities. Officers responded to the situation around 6:15 p.m. on Nov. 2.
"It's been a nightmare," Tejeda, said earlier this month. "I want justice."
Tejeda said her son was walking home from a local convenience store with friends when he was hit in the crosswalk. The other kids who were with him said they didn't see the car because it got so close to them.
Several people sprang into action to help the hurt teenager in the wake of the crash.
"I just pulled over, parked and grabbed a blanket, came out and saw a young person laying and surrounded by a few other good Samaritans," Erica Labb said, explaining that others were already helping and "telling the child 'Help is on the way. Don’t move, don’t move.' The child seemed to be moving."
Family friend Madeline Cruz said the driver should have turned herself in immediately, and never have left the scene in the first place.
"They left a 13-year-old boy on the side of the road and drove off," said Cruz. "There's no excuse."
In addition to the coma, Cesar has been dealing with a severely broken leg and double vision, and he has had issues with swelling in his head and blood clots.
"He's a strong boy," said Tejeda. "He's my baby."
Police said video surveillance collected from nearby businesses helped them identify a vehicle of interest in the crash, and they later obtained a search warrant and seized the vehicle. They were also able to identify the person who was allegedly driving the vehicle at the time of the crash.