Fire officials investigated high carbon monoxide readings in an elementary school Monday morning in Duxbury, Massachusetts.
The Duxbury Fire Department was called to Alden Elementary School, at 75 Alden Street, for a possible gas leak. The Alden School custodial staff made the call after noticing an odor in the gym Monday morning, Duxbury Interim Superintendent Danielle Klingaman said in a statement.
Firefighters found and located an isolated issue in the gym. All children were safely relocated to the auditorium "as a precaution" and then returned to their classrooms, Klingaman said. There were no injuries.
Sign up for our Breaking newsletter to get the most urgent news stories in your inbox.
Upon investigation, elevated Carbon Monoxide levels were found in a mechanical room in the gymnasium due to a malfunction with the HVAC system, which is now being repaired, Klingaman said.
The fire department deemed the building safe for students to return to class after metering the building and receiving readings of "no levels of Carbon Monoxide," Klingaman said.
"We appreciate the quick response and support from the Duxbury Fire Department," Klingaman said.