Mothers Separated From Their Children at the Border Sue Trump Admin Over 'Clear Abuse' - NBC10 Boston
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Mothers Separated From Their Children at the Border Sue Trump Admin Over 'Clear Abuse'

This is one of the first cases seeking compensatory damages from the government for its intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligence, said Trina Realmuto, directing attorney at the American Immigration Council

Find NBC Boston in your area

Channel 10 on most providers

Channel 15, 60 and 8 Over the Air

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Mothers Separated From Their Children at the Border Sue Trump Admin Over 'Clear Abuse'
    NICHOLAS KAMM/AFP/Getty Images
    In this June 28, 2018, file photo, people demonstrate in Washington, demanding an end to the separation of migrant children from their parents.

    After living without her mother for two months while in immigration custody last year, an eight-year-old girl from Guatemala can barely sleep at night unless her mother holds her tight. Another Guatemalan girl has recurring nightmares and often screams out for protection from people who might again separate her from her mother. The girl, 6, was taken away from her mother for four months.

    The mothers of these girls are among five women who were separated from their children after they crossed the border into the United States to seek asylum and who have now filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration, NBC News reports.

    Roughly 3,000 migrant children were separated from their parents or legal guardians under President Donald Trump's so-called "zero tolerance policy," according to data from the Department of Health and Human Services obtained by the American Immigration Council.

    This is one of the first cases seeking compensatory damages from the government for its intentional infliction of emotional distress, and negligence, Trina Realmuto, directing attorney at the American Immigration Council, who is representing the mothers in the lawsuit, told NBC News.

    Mattis Responds to Trump With Bones Spurs Burn

    [NATL] Mattis Responds to Trump With Bones Spurs Burn

    Former Secretary of Defense James Mattis took the stage at the annual Alfred E. Smith dinner in New York City to crack-wise after President Donald Trump called him an "overrated general".

    (Published Friday, Oct. 18, 2019)

    Immigration authorities told NBC News they don't comment on pending litigation.