Accused Gunman in Deadly Milton Shooting Held Without Bail

Marquis Simmons was fatally shot shortly after he got off his moped near Belvoir Road, police said

NBC Universal, Inc.

The suspect in fatal shooting in Milton, Massachusetts, over the weekend was held without bail at his arraignment Monday.

Myles King, a 21-year-old from Milton, is accused of shooting 25-year-old Marquis Simmons.



Watch NBC10 Boston news for free, 24/7, wherever you are.


Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.

Simmons was shot after he got off his moped, according to a statement from the Norfolk District Attorney's office. He was taken to Boston Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities have not released a motive, but Simmons' family said Monday that he and King were both musicians and the shooting was related to their music.

Myles King, 21, of Milton, is due in court Monday for a murder charge in connection to the shooting death of 25-year-old Marquis Simmons Saturday.

Saturday's shooting is not the first incident involving the two. In 2019, police found King sitting in a stolen car with a loaded gun outside of Simmons' house in Milton, which was just a few streets over from his own, court papers show. That case is still open.

Investigators allege King gunned down Simmons around 6 p.m. Saturday near Belvoir Road. Simmons had ridden his moped over to his mother's house, parked and was then shot, according to the Milton Police Department.

Less than 24 hours later, Norfolk District Attorney Michael Morrissey and Milton Chief of Police John King announced they had made an arrest in the case.

Police said they are still looking for a second person suspected to be involved in the shooting. Authorities asked that anyone with information about the case or who may have seen a suspicious vehicle in the area contact them.

King's next court date is scheduled for August.

Marquis Simmons was fatally shot Saturday evening after he got off his moped in the area of Belvoir Road. Myles King was arrested Sunday and is facing a murder charge.

Simmons' devastated mother spoke with NBC10 Boston Sunday morning, just hours after her son was killed near her home.

“I’m numb because I’ve lost my sister. Two years later, I lost my dad. Two years later, they took my baby,” Staci Atkins said. "We’re all family, and they just took that away from us.”

Trinity James, Simmons' sister, remembered her big brother as very goofy and always laughing.

Simmons' longtime girlfriend, Auvonnie Dorsett, remembered him as a kind man who had no known enemies -- that's why she said none of this makes any sense.

"They took my baby, they took my best friend, they took everything. They took everything from us," Dorsett said. "Marquis was my everything. He was my best friend. My first everything. I met Marquis when I was 18.”

The police chief and district attorney offered their condolences to the family and friends of Simmons, while crediting state and local police detectives who worked overnight to gather evidence at the scene, resulting in the quick arrest.

Contact Us