Reading Police Officer Released on Personal Recognizance in Fatal 2018 Shooting

Erik Drauschke was indicted last month on a charge of manslaughter in connection with the fatal shooting of Alan Greenough

NBC Universal, Inc.

A police officer from Reading, Massachusetts, was arraigned Wednesday for allegedly shooting and killing a 43-year-old resident in 2018.

Erik Drauschke, 38, was indicted by a Middlesex County grand jury last month on a charge of manslaughter in connection with the shooting death of Alan Greenough in Reading on Feb. 3, 2018. He pleaded not guilty Wednesday and was released on personal recognizance bail pending his next scheduled court appearance on Dec. 3.

On the day of the shooting, police had responded to a Main Street apartment just before 4 p.m. for a report of an alleged domestic assault by Greenough, who lived at the residence. He had allegedly assaulted two other residents who also lived in the apartment.

Prosecutors said police were familiar with Greenough and the residence from a previous altercation the night before. Responding officers were sent both to investigate the current incident and to arrest Greenough for the incident the previous evening.

When they arrived, prosecutors said police located Greenough inside the residence, which was dead-bolted from the inside. By the time officers were able to enter the residence, police said he had fled the premises by climbing out a rear window.

A Reading police officer has been indicted on a manslaughter charge for the 2018 deadly shooting of an unarmed man. And although the victim was white, analysts call it a significant step for the Black Lives Matter movement.

Reading police searched the surrounding area until around 4:30 p.m., when Drauschke located Greenough sitting inside a parked car.

Prosecutors said Drauschke allegedly approached the vehicle alone and did not wait for assistance even though other officers were nearby. Greenough is not alleged to have made any attempt to flee or any threatening gestures toward the officer.

Drauschke allegedly opened the car door and took out his gun as he ordered Greenough out of the car. Greenough allegedly exited the car with both of his hands inside his sweatshirt pocket. He refused to take his hands out of his pockets and yelled, “Shoot me, shoot me…," prosecutors said. Drauschke allegedly began to back up, then fired twice, striking Greenough in the chest.

Greenough was unarmed and a search of the area did not yield any weapons. He was taken to Lahey Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Drauschke's attorney, Peter Pasciucco, said in court Wednesday that his client was a 14-year veteran of the Reading Police Department and was very well respected.

"This in an unfortunate incident," Pasciucco said. "We feel the evidence will show my client acted consistent with his training and acted in self defense."

Reading police announced that Drauschke had been placed on unpaid administrative leave following his indictment. He had been on paid administrative leave since the 2018 incident. He had worked for the department since 2006.

Contact Us