Plymouth

Plymouth forest shooting suspect ordered held without bail

John Geovanni Pires Monteiro Macedo is scheduled to return to court on Oct. 5

John Geovanni Pires Monteiro Macedo
NBC10 Boston

The 20-year-old New Bedford, Massachusetts, man arrested on Sunday for last month's fatal shooting in Myles Standish State Forest was ordered held without bail following his arraignment Monday.

John Geovanni Pires Monteiro Macedo was arrested at a New Bedford apartment Sunday afternoon by the Massachusetts State Police Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section, the Plymouth County District Attorney's Office said.

STAY IN THE KNOW

icon

Watch NBC10 Boston news for free, 24/7, wherever you are.

icon

Get Boston local news, weather forecasts, lifestyle and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Boston’s newsletters.

He pleaded not guilty to one count of murder in court Monday.

Monteiro-Macedo was arrested under a pile of clothing in the Morgan Street apartment where he'd been spotted, Massachusetts State Police said Monday. Officers broke into the apartment with its owner's consent after hearing movement inside but not getting any response.

Officers thought the pile of clothes looked out of place, officials said.

Monteiro Macedo is due in Plymouth District Court for his arraignment on Monday.

The shooting occurred on July 12, when police in Plymouth were called to reports of a shooting in the state forest. Robert Aponte-Flores, of New Bedford, was found at the scene suffering from multiple gunshot wounds and taken to Beth Israel Deaconess-Plymouth Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to authorities.

Witnesses reportedly told investigators that there was an altercation in the picnic area of the park between the two men before the shooting.

Authorities say a New Bedford man has died after a shooting in Plymouth.

Macedo is scheduled to return to court on Oct. 5. The investigation remains ongoing, prosecutors said.

Contact Us